February 26, 2008

Return of the Ice Cream Man

Grandparents are great. They love to spend time with the kids and do fun things that grandparents do. You have to love them for all they do and for how much they love their grandkids, but.....
Sometimes grandparents can swoop in and do something that becomes an expected standard for parents to carry on (aren't kids great!).
My dad loves the Ice Cream man - he always has, and he has passed that love on to his grandkids. Buy them ice cream once, and they think you're awesome - do it twice and it becomes an expected ritual. They can hear that annoying music from miles away and they sprint to the door every time (this is several times each week mind you), and of course you know that the Ice Cream Man knows a sucker when he finds one, and drives really slow going down our street, just hoping that maybe grandpa is here today.
The worst part of it for me is that I just can't bring myself to pay $3 for an ice cream sandwich when you can get a whole box of them at Walmart for that price - If you know me, then you know that would be excruciating punishment. I'll bet that guy drives a really nice car though :)
Maybe I should try that out... 100 ice creams per day at $2 profit each= 73k per year???

3 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really surprised that you say he passed that love on to the grandkids and not to his own kids.
Do you not remember him chasing down the ice cream man a few times in our neighborhood and then having the ice cream truck come by every day for years it seemed like, driving really slow past our house. It was a good thing that your dad worked long hours back then because we may never have been able to afford high school or college for you three.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

That is too funny! My Dad loves to stop the ice cream truck for my kids, too. Then they think we should do it. I'm with you... start your own ice cream truck!

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like your mom gave us the real "scoop" Mark. You've been "outted".

Greg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home