August 24, 2007

Nothing but the real thing

Yesterday morning as I was carrying a cup of coffee in one hand and a bowl of cereal balanced on 3 fingers with the grip pressure of my thumb and middle finger, I had a couple thoughts -
1. This is stupid, I'm going to drop this bowl and break it and have milk all over the kitchen floor.
2. I think I can, I think I can...
3. Whew, I made it to the kitchen table without spilling - I have mad skills!
4. How did I pull that off?
Ok, so maybe you're thinking that's a lot of excitement over nothing, but as I sat there eating my breakfast I started looking at my thumb and realized that joint that goes in multiple directions and the strength of my hand is pretty unique (How could that evolve?). God has made so much and it can't be duplicated.
I thought of a young girl I know who has lost her sight - even with the great technological advances of science, we can't create anything to replace the intricate design of the eyes that God gave her and the way they were wired to the brain. And another girl who recently went through a waiting period for heart transplant, and an older man I have been praying for who is on a waiting list and suffering from many other ailments - thinking of the artificial hearts that have been tried in so many - why can't we perfect them and give life to all who are suffering in the waiting time? And even the real hearts that come from others that are rejected when transplanted from others because they are not a perfect fit.

As I was sharing this with some guys yesterday, Darius brought up his own experience as a major in Biomedical Engineering. He described a class discussion they had about artificial limbs, organs etc where the professor stated emphatically - If you ever have the choice between something artificial that has been developed or the real thing (whether artificial limb, heart, etc), ALWAYS choose the real thing. As good as technology gets, it will never be as good as the original.

God has the patent on the real thing - and we can never come up with a substitute that is better than what God created. Praise God today for the way he has created every living thing - especially YOU!

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Genesis 1:21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Psalm 139:13-14 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Revelation 4:11
"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."


1 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

That was a really great post Mark! It's always amazing to me to think about what all God has created. Especially just experiencing the miracle of having a child a couple months ago. Only God could do such wonderful things!!

It's good to see you around again :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home