July 4, 2007

Happy Independence Day...

This post is in tribute to my brother-in-law Rob & my sister Jen - I'm sure you guys are working today in the UK - they don't celebrate thanksgiving, and certainly not 4th of July (You guys do have Boxing Day though) - One of these days I hope you chaps can appreciate the whole "The British Are Coming!!" thing - I know it still gets you guys that we through out all that perfectly good tea in Boston. But, seriously, I have to give you props - you guys did have "football" before we did.

Too hot to BBQ today - We took the kids to see "Night at the Museum" - had ice cream cones at McD's for "pudding" - Julie was going to make homemade ice cream in honor of the 4th, but I reminded her of her 1st and only attempt at that right after we were married - the recipe called for egg, but it wasn't supposed to taste like egg.

Besides the memories of fireworks on the 4th and hanging out with family - including when we almost watched all of South Mountain go up in flames one year due to some drunk people with sparklers, I also have memories of the Air Shows in San Antonio and marching in Parades in 112 degrees with 99% humidity, and of course the great downtown Phx 4th fiasco to go see the Dixie Chicks (what were we thinking??) when Julie was like 7 months pregnant and we had to park and walk like 2 miles in 122 degrees only to realize that we are waiting in line for 30 minutes for porta-jons that 100,000 people have already used.

Guess that's why I now choose to spend my 4th indoors and watch firework's from my backyard when at all possible so that I can walk back inside and use my own bathroom and get a drink of water without paying $5 and sit in the A/C until the fireworks actually start.

Don't get me wrong - I love America - REAL football, hotdogs, baseball, ice cream, apple pie, and ESPN.

3 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Ah yes, my favorite 4th of July memory. Don't forget being yelled at very rudely because we stepped on someone's blanket.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Wow, sounds like some really great 4th adventures! I would stay home after all that, too.

I'm with you though, I hate dealing with those crowds. Too bad everyone else won't stay home so we could enjoy the event, huh?

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't enjoy that 4th! You guys don't know what your missing, but I can honestly say - I do! I miss the baseball (not really the football), I miss hotdogs - although I did have homemade corndogs and they weren't bad. AND... I know it's crazy, but I miss being able to be outside sweating in shorts and a tanktop after the sun goes down enjoying an ice cream without getting cold after eating it. That just doesn't happen here. But to be fair, we just had our first day without any rain in about 4 weeks and I think I might have perspired for a split second, who can complain?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home