April 22, 2007

Love Languages - part 2

Does our "Love Language" (LL) change over time, or during certain seasons of life? I think there are times when our primary LL may be overcome by a secondary or different LL, as might be the case during a time of loneliness, loss, etc when we need something else. But I guess maybe my question may be more related to age and possibly life stage.

As I was thinking about my kids, I recognize that Noah (7) is definitely a "Receiving Gifts" kind of guy. He cannot stand certain types of physical touch, ie a hug or kiss, no matter who its from. He's always been like that too. I wonder if he will outgrow that once he learns that girls don't have cooties, and if his LL may change as he grows up?

Natalie (4) is a little more difficult to assess, as she likes just about everything & everybody. But I think that one of the things she likes most is "Quality Time". She loves nothing more than to have me come and play puppy dogs with her or read her a book or just sit and watch Dora the Explorer with her. She also love to give hugs and kisses, and I can never get out to the car in the morning without her running into the garage frantically screaming "Wait daddy, 1 more hug, 1 more hug!"

So I guess I have to wonder what my LL was as a child, and if, as I grow into my older years (much, much older, mind you), if I will grow out of "physical touch" LL? Maybe Julie will grow out of "Do the Dishes" LL too??

Maybe the best thing we can do is COMMUNICATE with and SUBMIT to each other. Instead of guessing (and probably getting it wrong) we should ask each other how we can meet one another's needs the best and tell the other person what we would love for them to do - and then comes the hard part - actually doing what we know we should do to show love for the other, even when we don't feel like it... Guess I better go get started on the dishes before Julie gets home :)

Philippians 2

(Imitating Christ's Love & Humility)
1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

1 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Michael Gray said...

My primary LL is also physical touch.

I know that you are challenging us to meet other people at the level of their personal LL, but somehow I don't think that hugging you each morning before I get to work will help me in career longevity. I do, however, think that would be a powerful catalyst in helping you change your LL.

Seriously, though, this was a great post. Since I only see you at work, I don't often get to see you interacting with your kids that much, so reading about them on your blog is a cool way for me to see you in a different light -- as a dad.

Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

Before I go...can I just get one more hug?

I'm so fired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home