February 27, 2007

A Child After My Own Heart

I finally broke down on another thing... We have had the same refrigerator since we moved into our 1st house in 1995. It has been through more moves than most people do in their entire lives - I believe 7, but I am sure that Julie will correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to clarify, I didn't COMPLETELY break down - I have a great wife and she is as frugal most of the time as I am (most of you just call me cheap, but I take it as a compliment - thanks) I just couldn't bring myself to replace a perfectly good, working refrigerator (Yes, its white and all our other appliances are black - my saving grace (insert excuse) has been that the water cooler sits right next to it and its white too). As Julie put it last night "I know this has not been on the top of your priority list". So, out of the blue yesterday she called me at work and said, "Uh, I saw a refrigerator on Craig's list that's only a year old - Do you want to go take a look at it?" To which I correctly responded something along the line of, "Sure sweetie, I'd love to do that for you." - while thinking to myself, did ours finally break down?

We got the new (new to us) refrigerator and save a couple hundred dollars. So tonight Noah tells Julie at bedtime - "You know mom, you didn't NEED a new refrigerator, you just WANTED a new one " (this one of my favorite phrases while walking through the Wal-mart toy aisle - that and "Ok, well add that to your birthday list and we'll see" and "Ok, well you better save up your money". Way to go kiddo! I'm proud of you.


Proverbs 22:6-7 (New International Version)

6 Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.

7 The rich rule over the poor,
and the borrower is servant to the lender.

5 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what color is it? You have to give us that! Noah has always been very smart about money and toys- you have taught him well. jen

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

I'm so happy for Julie because I know she's been wanting one for quite some time now! Thanks for being such a good guy and finally giving in :-)

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I want to know is who raised you that way? It certainly wasn't us. I am so proud of Noah. He has learned a lot younger than even you did. cpg

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Michael Gray said...

So when are you going to teach him to promise that he is going to come play basketball and then not show up?

Is that jab getting old yet?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

I think it's interesting to note the proximity of those two verses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home