June 9, 2006

Hugs Can Change the World

This past week has been a real reminder to me of how short life here on earth is and made me think a lot. A week ago I met with a couple from church who just lost their baby - carried until 32 weeks and delivered stillborn. What faith they had in the midst of this trial - No coincidence I think, that they had given her the name Faith. We shared some tears and hugs.

On Monday I did a funeral for my mom's aunt Marie. She was a wonderful woman - I shared about my memories of her - mostly of soft and gentle spirit and of how I will never forget her hugs - She gave a hug like few people I've ever known. She definitely loved God and loved her famliy.

On Wednesday afternoon I met in the office with Barb Cassell - She has been severely hampered for months after a foot surgery and I talked to her about some things and encouraged & prayed with her. She shared with me that her foot had made some great improvements and she was bursting with joy and excitement that she was going this weekend with the youth missions trip to cook for them again this year. She also shared about the Bible study she was leading for women at a half-way house and the youth she worked with in our "Project Freedom" group for troubled youth, and how she was trying to gather donations for the women who had nothing and even using much of what little she had to share and provide for these women.

I got a call yesterday (thurday) afternoon that Barb had been broad-sided in a car accident. A little later I got a call that she had passed away. Barb, I will miss you - Everyone who met you saw your sincere love for people, and your love for Jesus, and surely remember you for always having a hug to give. Thanks for being who you were. I only wish I had taken a little more time to talk to you this week, but I know we will catch up one day in Heaven.


Life is short - slow down and enjoy the wonderful people God brings across your path each day.

Ecclesiastes 3 - Selected verses
1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
11 He (God) has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Psalm 144:3-4
3 O LORD, what is man that you care for him, the son of man that you think of him?
4 Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this Mark. You're right, Aunt Marie did give good hugs. Thanks for the reminder of beautiful lives that shouldn't be missed because of the hectic lives we live. I will join you in celebrating these lives and look forward to the day I can meet Barb.
Jen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home