May 8, 2006

When the Going Gets Tough...
Grandpa had a quote in his office and above his bed that said, "Circumstances don't make a man, they merely reveal him". That has always stuck with me - from a motivational and personal perspective. It would come back to me time and again in tough or challenging situations. As I was reading back through Psalm 34 again, this quote from grandpa took on a whole new meaning to me. Its easy to praise God when he has done great and awesome things in our lives - when we see the miracles, and when he answers our prayers the way we want him to. But what about when things are really hard? What about when we don't understand or something devastating happens in our life? I was thinking about this as I was giving thanks to God for my wonderful family and pondered what could have been in the accident yesterday. How would I have responded to a devestating tragedy? Could I have praised God in the middle of that storm (love the song, Priase you in the storm by Casting Crowns - someone gave that to me after our difficult Katrina Reflied trip to Mississippi). In everything, it should be a comfort to us to know that we have a sovereign God who loves us and cares for us. The stories of Job and Lazurus reaffirms to me that for those who know him, nothing happens that he does not allow, or that he cannot use to grow us in our faith and to bring glory to His name. (See Romans 8)

In psalm 34, we read, "1I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth." Thats a tough one - at all times, in every situation. I challenge you to read through Psalm 34 and let it resonate in your heart today.